Developing Packaging of the Future
• We are working on reducing both the number of different material layers and the complexity of those materials in our packaging to make our packaging easier to recycle. For example, we have changed Beyond® Grain Free Recipe packaging from multi-material to mono-material which can then be recycled where infrastructure exists.
• One of our priorities is to make Purina wet food pouches fully recyclable. Our teams are testing new design & technologies aiming to ensure circularity of pouch packaging. For example, in the Netherlands we are piloting a first-of-its-kind recyclable flexible plastic packaging for our wet pet food.
• With the Nestlé Institute for Packaging Sciences we are exploring a range of innovations, including new paper-based materials.
Shaping a Waste-Free Future
• We are introducing reusable packaging, new delivery systems and innovative business models to avoid use of single-use packaging. For example, in 19 shops in 3 regions of Russia consumers can already buy Purina products in bulk using their own packaging. We are also testing in a few shops in Switzerland a new closed-loop bulk system for our dry products.
• One of our key challenges is waste management, as each country differs in their ability to collect, sort, and recycle waste. Therefore, we are joining efforts with partners to improve recycling infrastructures and pioneer new recycling technologies.
• We are participating in a European project called CEFLEX, which works towards the development of consistent infrastructure across the EU to collect, sort and recycle all types of used flexible plastics by 2025.
Video introducing project CEFLEX
Driving New Behavior and Understanding
• We are working to ensure consumers have access to recycling information on our packaging and to help them dispose of it in the right way.
• Furthermore, we believe it is key to raise awareness among our employees, so that we are all involved and committed in our everyday actions to progress on our environmental goals. Purina employees worldwide have dedicated volunteering days to the removal of litter and participated in clean-up activities.