Purina launches Pro Plan® LiveClear®, the first and only cat food to reduce allergens on cat hair and dander
• Sensitivity to cat allergens affects as many as one-in-five adults across the world and can limit interactions between cats and the owners who love them
• Cat owners say sensitivities to allergens prevent them spending time with their pets
• Purina’s breakthrough approach is the result of more than a decade worth of research
15 June 2020 – Purina will launch the first and only cat food to reduce the allergens found on cat hair and dander across Europe from this month. It is a revolutionary approach in the management of cat allergens.
Pro Plan® LiveClear® is a breakthrough diet, resulting from more than a decade worth of Purina research dedicated at finding a safe, effective and feline-friendly way to address a problem that impacts countless cat-owning households worldwide.
As many as one-in-five adults worldwide are sensitised to cat allergens1,2, limiting the amount of interactions that owners share with the cats they love.
A recent survey of 5,000 cat owners across Europe revealed the ways cat owners manage sensitivity to cat allergens which include removing the cat when sensitivities to allergens act up (69%), restricting the cat to specific places in the home (73%), using special cat products on the cat such as dander removers or allergen sprays (68%), bathing the cat (68%) and taking the cat to a groomer (55%)3.
The research revealed they also go to great lengths to remove allergens from the home, with 92% using a high-quality vacuum cleaner, 60% putting covers on their furniture and a quarter (25%) cleaning their home and furniture daily to remove traces of cat hair.
Dr Ebenezer Satyaraj, PhD, immunologist for Nestlé Purina Research and lead investigator on the research that led to the development of Pro Plan® LiveClear®, explains, “Many people think that cat hair or dander is the allergen, but it’s actually what’s on it – the major cat allergen called Fel d1, a protein that cats produce naturally in their saliva.” 4,5
When cats groom, the Fel d1 is spread on to their hair and skin, and into the environment. All cats produce Fel d1, regardless of breed, age, hair length, sex or body weight,5-7 meaning there are no truly hypoallergenic cats.
However, Purina’s scientists have created a breakthrough to neutralise Fel d1 at its source – in the cat’s saliva – in a safe and feline-friendly approach that doesn’t affect the cat’s natural physiology in any way. This breakthrough utilises a specific protein sourced from eggs as the key ingredient in Pro Plan® LiveClear®.
When cats eat Pro Plan® LiveClear®, the protein neutralises active Fel d1 in the cat’s saliva, which reduces the active allergen transferred to hair and dander during grooming and ultimately reduces the active Fel d1 in the environment.8,9
In a published study, feeding Pro Plan® LiveClear® was shown to reduce the allergens on cat hair and dander by an average of 47%, starting in the third week of daily feeding.8
“That is a dramatic reduction in the amount of allergens in the environment, and it is a game-changer for people sensitised to those allergens,” explained Ebenezer Satyaraj. “For people sensitive to cat allergens, Pro Plan® LiveClear® could have the power to change lives.”
Bernard Meunier, CEO at Nestlé Purina PetCare in Europe, Middle East and North Africa said: “Our commitment to cutting-edge scientific research and product development keeps Purina at the forefront of pet nutrition, globally, and Pro Plan® LiveClear® is evidence of that focus. The first and only cat food to reduce allergens on cat hair and dander, this product is the direct result of more than a decade of scientific development. It offers cat owners with sensitivities to cat allergens the opportunity to spend more quality time with their feline companions.”
Pro Plan® LiveClear® is not intended to replace other allergen-reduction strategies but, rather, to add another measure that can help reduce the allergen burden in cat households. With this revolutionary approach to cat allergen management, the quality of life for cats and the families that love them can enable closer contact than ever before.
Pro Plan® LiveClear® is a 100% complete and balanced dry cat food with outstanding taste and nutrition designed for daily feeding. It will be available in pet specialist stores and vet clinics in four formulas covering all life stages – Kitten Rich in Turkey, Sterilised Adult Rich in Turkey or Rich in Salmon, and Sterilised Senior Rich in Turkey.
About Purina Pro Plan®
Purina Pro Plan® offers a range of advanced nutrition products designed to support the long-term health of pets. Its science is backed by 500 Purina scientists globally, including nutritionists, veterinarians and behaviourists, who continuously rethink what nutrition can do. The brand is manufactured by Nestlé Purina PetCare, which promotes responsible pet care, community involvement, and the positive bond between people and their pets. A premiere global manufacturer of pet products, Nestlé Purina PetCare is part of Swiss-based Nestlé S.A., a global leader in nutrition, health, and wellness.
For more information visit: https://www.purina.co.uk/proplan/liveclear
About Nestlé Purina PetCare EMENA
Nestlé Purina PetCare EMENA (Europe, Middle East, North Africa) believes that pets and people are better together and is committed to helping pets live longer, happier and healthier lives through proper nutrition and care. For over 120 years, Purina has been one of the pioneers in providing nutritious and palatable products made to the highest standards of quality and safety. Purina’s passion for pets goes beyond the advancement of pet nutrition and in 2016 Purina PetCare Europe launched the 10 Purina in Society commitments to have a positive impact on pets and society, including promoting pet adoption, pets in the workplace and helping to reduce the risk of pet obesity. The Purina portfolio includes many of the best-known and best-loved pet foods including Felix®, Purina ONE®, Gourmet® and Pro Plan®.
A premiere global manufacturer of pet products, Nestlé Purina PetCare is part of Swiss-based Nestlé S.A., a global leader in nutrition, health and wellness.
1. Bousquet, P.J., Chinn, S., Janson, C., Kogevinas, M., Burney, P., & Jarvis, D. (2007). Geographical variation in the prevalence of positive skin tests to environmental aeroallergens in the European Community Respiratory Health Survey I. Allergy, 62, 301-309. Doi: 10.1111/j.1398-9995.2006.01293
2. Zahradnik, E., & Raulf, M. (2017). Respiratory allergens from furred mammals: environmental and occupational exposure. Veterinary Sciences, 4, 38. Doi: 10.3390/vetsci4030038
3. Purina study of 5,139 cat owners in UK, France, Italy, Germany and Russia, March 2020
4. Bonnet, B., Messaoudi, K., Jacomet, F., Michaud, E. Fauquert, J. L., Caillaud, D., & Evrard, B. (2018). An update on molecular cat allergens: Fel d 1 and what else? Chapter 1: Fel d 1, the major cat allergen. Allergy, Asthma and Clinical Immunology, 14, 14. Doi: 10.1186/s13223-018-0239-8
5. Kelly, S. M., Karsh, J., Marcelo, J., Boeckh, D., Stepner, N., Litt, D., ...Yang, W. H. (2018). Fel d 1 and Fel d4 levels in cat fur, saliva and urine. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, 142, 1990-1992.e3. doi: 10.1016/j.jaci.2018.07.033
6. Butt, A., Rashid, D., & Lockey, R. F. (2012). Do hypoallergenic dogs and cats exist? Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology, 108, 74-76. Doi: 10.1016/j.anai.2011.12.005
7. Nicholas, C., Wegienka, G., Havstad, S., Ownby, D., & Johnson, C. C. (2008). Influence of cat characteristics on Fel d 1 levels in the home. Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology, 101, 47-50.
8. Satyaraj, E., Gardner, C., Filipi, I., Cramer, K., & Sherrill, S. (2019). Reduction of active Fel d1 from cats using an antiFel d1 egg IgY antibody. Immunity, inflammation and disease, 7(2), 68–73. doi:10.1002/iid3.244
9. Satyaraj, E., Li, Q., Sun, P. & Sherrill, S. (2019). Anti-Fel d 1 immunoglobulin Y antibody-containing egg ingredient lowers allergen levels in cat saliva. Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery, 21(10), 875-881. doi: 10.1177/1098612X19861218